Friday, September 21, 2012

I Am Not My Hair: Part 5

Well it's been awhile since I did a post about my hair... but I'm back with a quick update. For those that don't know I shaved my head back in January (I Am Not My Hair) because well there's no eloquent way to say why I did it. No I didn't have a Britney Spears moment, I just got a really bad perm. So bad to the point that my hair fell out from the root.... Honestly I think it was one of the best things that's happened for to hair. I mean that my hair getting that damaged from a relaxer, that it just fell out of my head like it had just given up on life, that the only real choice I was to shave it off and start over. Made me really think about what the creamy crack was doing to my hair. After I shaved my head.... I decided or maybe it was Divine Intervention that stepped in and decided for me, that chemically altering my hair isn't the way to go anymore. Anyway its been different from what I'm use to, and that's putting it mildly.

Different to the point that I wasn't sure what to do with my hair as it started to grow. When it got to a certain point/long enough, I got box braids for about two months. I took them out this week because I had a lot of time on my hands ( that's another story) and my hair grew a lot. I was actually really surprised by that. It grew to the point where I really didn't know what to do with it once again. It's in that twa (teeny weeny afro) phase and that's cute for some put for me not so much. So after two days I got my hair re-braided.... I just couldn't deal, plus I am trying to grow my hair out. In my experience I realized that the less access I have to my hair, the more my hair grows. I know I just need more time with my hair and learn what works on my hair and what doesn't. I just have that hair that's like a sponge it just soaks up any piece of moisture that touches it. So my hair is always dry.... no matter how hard I try. Nobody said this natural hair journey was going to be easy.

4 comments:

  1. With the down time you have, try playing around with different products and styles... whenever you take the braids out again. I think it's a good idea to give yourself a break between each 2 installs so your edges don't turn into Sade or Naomi Campbell lol... but it's a fun journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lmao!!! Not the Sade or Naomi Campbell edges!!! Well I only gave myself a 2 day break maybe it should have been longer but oh well. I am overwhelmed with products. I think when you first start out you try so many things you just don't get a real grasp of what works and what doesn't. I have like 3 different leave in conditioner, 4 butter creams, and oils for days. Olive, tea tree, almond, castor, coconut, soy bean, grape seed.... and some more I'm sure I forgot. Product over load lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use coconut oil from the Indian grocery stores. It has done wonders!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @miss tattoo I'll try it... I got my hair re-braided a few weeks ago but I will definitely try the coconut. Thanks 😁😁

    ReplyDelete