Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Old Men

As the title of this post shows I just can't do old men..... like at all. Notice I said old men, not older men. I could date a man 5-7 years older than me, that's no problem. But when the age difference starts getting to be 10 -15 years, ummmm that's just a problem and will continue to be a problem. What exactly is the problem? Well, let me expand upon it.

If someone is 10 or more years older than you, there's going to be somethings the two of you just won't understand about each other, there's gonna be some type of generational gap. I remember being at the club one time, and these two guys come up to me and my friend. Things were cool until the song "poison" came on and one of the dudes said to the other guy and us, "remember dancing to this song at prom, when this song first came out." I'm thinking WTF, I guess this reflected on my face and one of the guys asked what was with the look on my face? I told him that I believed that I was in first grade when that song came out. He says, "oh age ain't nothing but a number, so can I get your number."  I politely replied, " yes, you're right age is just a number but unfortunately your age is the wrong number for me." Look older men just kinda unnerve me. The ones I've come across either 1) want to play the daddy role. I'm sorry but I have a real dad and a step dad, I don't need no more father figures. No lectures when I do something you don't like, no questions about where I've been, just no all around handcuffing. A lot of older men love to take on that, "daddy role" when they get with younger women, because nine times out of ten he has children your age and that's how he deals with them. Well, that ish isn't going work over here because I'm not your child.

Another thing you may have to worry about is the dude in the middle or on the onset of a mid-life crisis. I just rather not be apart of that journey. Its hard enough sometimes dealing with a dude under the best circumstances but dealing with a dude that's about to get his Steve Martin on is just more than I'm willing to handle. You remember in Father of The Bride II, when Steve Martin dyed his hair brown, brought a corvette (or whatever car that was), and then sold the family house without telling his wife. See this kind of behavior I just can't deal or maybe I'm not ready to deal with it. I met a guy kind of recently going through a similar situation. He was like 40 something and was telling me how he just recently called off his engagement and was selling his house, then he was going to move to a condo downtown. Now these things may seem harmless, and that he just needed a change. Okay, but let me elaborate this condo he was moving to was about a step-up from the dorms, full of recent grads and whatnot. Plus this man has two kids, he told me he was done raising his kids. His children were 15 and 17 I believe, WTF!!! How are you going to move into a one bedroom condo, when you have two teenage children? Maybe he thought his actions were cute but to the contrary I found them to be outrageous and irresponsible, and I can't deal with an irresponsible man.

Men of a certain age most of the time have gone through a lot things that women 10-20 years their juniors haven't experienced. Things like marriage, children, and divorce. Some of these things, some of us have never experienced and that kind of puts us at a disadvantage. Sometimes its better to travel a road without really knowing your way, than with a guide that's already travelled it. You may need to get lost and loose your way a little, so that you find it and never go down that path again. As they say experience is the best teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment