Monday, March 28, 2011

Guys You Shouldn't Date: The Mama's Boy

On today's installment of men you shouldn't date, I'll like to present to you the mama's boy. You may wanna stay clear from this guy because somewhere between arguing with him over him taking his mama's side again and you telling him that you ain't his mama, and you won't be cleaning up after him. You'll find yourself trying to figure out how to kill him without ending up on an episode of Snapped. Look I know of what I speak, my brother is the biggest mama's boy I know (lord, I hope he never reads this).

See my mom raised me but she coddled my brother, just the other day my mom was saying how never remembers helping me or telling me to do my homework (this is not to say she wasn't willing to help me with it). She went on to say that it was always done before she could even ask me if it was. My brother on the other hand, she would stay up to odd hours in the night helping and sometimes doing his homework. Now she may also say the reason she didn't help with my homework,  was because I'm stubborn and don't like asking for help and that's true. But the real reason was because she taught me to be self-sufficent and to do things on my own, now my brother not so much. I'm not the best cook but I know enough to put basic meals together. My brother out of his 23 years on this Earth I've only seen him make ramen noodles and he burnt that. He washes his own clothes now but that wasn't always the case, my mom showed me how to use a washer machine and dyer at the age of 9. Why? Because she was tried of washing everybody's clothes and she felt I was old enough to wash my own clothes.
Now I'm not mad at my mom for all this and all the other lessons I got in order for me to be self-sufficent, but I can't help to wonder if she short-changed my brother because although we grew up in the same house we were raised very differently.

There are a couple of dynamics to a mama's boy, one of these being that the mama's boys moms are always in their business. It doesn't matter if his 5 or 35 she's always poking her nose around and offering not so sound advice. Its past the point of being a good mom, she's intrusive and overbearing. Prime example of this in the mom from Everybody Loves Raymond. When its to the point she's not even treating her son like a son, but more like a make shift boyfriend or her little puppet, there's a problem. He's always up under her, running errands for her even when he doesn't want to because he doesn't know how to say no to her. Even if he does grew some balls and says no, she guilt trips into doing what she wants. Its to the point that he's more in tune with her feelings than his own. This relationship is complex and slightly emotionally abusive and I personally rather not deal with it. He'll never be dating you because he's too busy dating his mom and he doesn't even know it.

Now on the other side of the coin you have the guy who doesn't know how to anything for himself because his mama does or did everything for him. He can't cook, wash dishes, pay bills, or pick up after himself, hell he can barely wipe his own a$$ without his mom's assistance. He just doesn't know how to take care of himself at all, why? Because his mama did everything for him. She loved that boy to the point that she never taught him how to be a man, she stifled his growth and now he's 6'3, 200 lb little boy. This my friends is a sad case of events because since he doesn't know how to take care of himself, he's always going to be looking for someone to take over that job. Where it's a girlfriend, wife, sister or Ann Louise at the dry cleaner, it's going to be somebody. This is a no bueno situation, with either one of these men. You'll be losing all day like the Knicks since they got Carmelo.  So proceed with caution.

2 comments:

  1. There's no upside of a mama's boy. None at all.

    never dated one though....

    Newest follower here. I'm the gold icon :)

    Found ya thru 20 sb.

    Heart this blog :)

    Follow me too?

    I'm on www.single-unsingle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks for checking it out and yes there's no upside to dating a mama's boy. They pain in the asses and I'm not a fan of them. Oh yeah I followed you too.

    ReplyDelete