Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What's In Your Box?

Okay so I'm back.... well not completely back yet.  For those that read the last post. I told you that I moved and I did. Its been a lot of different things, real, eye-opening, difficult, and fun. There are some tales to come from this move but until then I got this for you.

The other day I was cleaning up my room and I stumbled across a box and the contents of this box made me literally laugh out loud. What was in this box? About 100-150 paper dolls. I probably hadn't seen this box and these paper dolls since I was 7 but here they were right in front of me. Now for those of you who may not have heard of paper dolls please control, alt, delete your ass off this page and google it baby. Now for those who know about them, didn't they go hard in the mutha f*cking paint. Me and my friends use to play with them in school all the time, see they were so much easier to sneak into your backpack than a real doll and a less likely chance of getting in trouble while at school.

Anyway I got to thinking while going through the box, why in the hell do I still have these dolls? The simplest answer would be to say, its because I'm a pack rat (I get that lovely gift from my mama). But not in a hoarder way, have you ever seen that show? My lord some of those folks have fossilized rodents up under their junk, they need Jesus and four hail Mary's. I'm just one of those people that keeps everything, from will you be my girlfriend letters to extra buttons that comes with your coats. I keep it because in my mind I may need it one day. So as I was about to throw away these paper dolls that gave me endless hours of fun and entertainment once upon a time. I just couldn't do it, I couldn't bring myself to throw them away, even though I know that I'm never going to use them again and they serve no purpose in my life now. Instead I just put them back in the box I found them in. I rationalized my actions by telling myself that they maybe worth some money one day. Yeah I know... I gave myself the death side-eye to that statement too. Honestly do they even still make paper dolls?? I'm thinking probably not.

The real reason I didn't throw them out, was because these dolls represent a happy time in my life. Plus I kept them this long so why not keep them even longer. Nowadays people and myself included are so focused on the future and how to make it as bright as it can possibly be. That we forget about our past and where we've been. Now I'm not saying we should sit around daydreaming about yesterday but every now and then you have to remember about where you've been to know and understand where you are going. Sometimes you just want and need to think about times back in the day. So on that note I'll leave you with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-33P6EFgEc

No comments:

Post a Comment