Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Career Moves

So for the 8.23 people that have been reading this blog for the past couple if months. You may have noticed that 1) I moved to Chicago this summer and 2) I have been unemployed since moving to Chicago.  Well I'm pleased to announce I'm no longer unemployed, yes that's right good people I started my new job this week. So I've been shouting to heavens like Tyler the Creator's mama did when he want that VMA (it was just a VMA lady not a Grammy, so chillax). This job isn't necessarily my dream job but its definitely closer to what I would like to be doing than my last job was. Plus the job is at what I consider to be my dream company, so who knows maybe I'll get to my dream job one of these days. One of the reasons I moved to Chicago was do something more related to my major and what I really want to be doing with my life. Basically I came up here to try to have a career and not just have a job, there's a big ass difference between the two.


While I was driving back from my new job today a few things came to my mind. First, I have been out of work too long, my ass was tried as hell when I got home. This ish is gonna take some getting use to again. Secondly, starting a new job is like being the new kid in school but slightly better because you get paid to be there. Really, think about... you have to deal with coworkers and bosses. What if they don't like me? What if I don't like them? Will I fit in? All these damn questions run through your head. I usually just stick to the motto of doing my work and shutting the f*ck up. That way you stay out of mess and there's always mess at any workplace. I'm friendly but I'm not there to make friends, I have friends and plenty of them at home. If I happen to make friends at work, cool but I'm not seeking them out. This ain't homeroom or the lunchroom and I ain't here for that. We don't have to shoot the sh!t together. Thirdly, the work looks like its going to be a lot and difficult at times and what if I won't be able to handle it? What if all the sh!t I learned in college was for nothing? What if I forgot about all that stuff, like Ciara forgets she had a music career. My head is hurting just thinking about it. The last think that crossed my mind was, what if I don't like this job? The job that will eventually lead to the career I've always wanted, the career I spent four years in college trying to build up to. What if I hate that sh!t? Then what? Go back school and focus on something else? Chile... the thought of this not working out just makes me want to slap somebody. Well, I hopefully that won't be the case and I really enjoy what I'm doing and if not there's always grad school. I can be like Lynn from Girlfriends and have 4 masters degrees and 2 PhDs and no damn job. But that may not work either because as the great queen mother Kanye West said, those degrees won't keep you warm at night. He's ass is definitely right about that, so this better work out.

2 comments: