Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Fallacy of Sex and The City


First of all let it be said that I am SATC stan. I have a tank top that says I heart SATC, that I wore to the 12am showing of SATC the movie, that i saw twice in theaters. That kept rising up because of my boobs to the point that the tank said I heart sex. Yeah that was kinda embarrassing walking around Atlantic station with an "I heart sex" tank top on. I've seen  every episode ,I have some seasons on dvd, I seen the movies and have them both on dvd. I use to and sometimes I still do quote lines from SATC.  You know three years ago you couldn't have told me I wasn't a black Carrie Bradshaw, with a twist of Charlotte .

But as I was watching SATC the movie. Just kept thinking to myself this just couldn't be me, I'm talking about Carrie and her relationship with Big. The whole nature of their relationship was that everything was done on his time. Think about it folks…… like the second time they broke up because he had to go to Paris for work, but he failed to mention this to Carrie until he was packing his damn bags. I'm throwing a flag on this play, there are so many things wrong with this picture. Why did Big wait so late to tell Carrie about Paris? Well my friends the answer is because he could, she just wasn't his top priority. Everything that happened in their whole relationship happened when he was ready for things to happen. Then he comes back from Paris engaged, chile please!!! Even the affair Big and Carrie had was done under his own design. Well I'm calling bs on the whole dynamic of their relationship!! Carrie and Big danced around this thing called a committed relationship for 6 years. Six long years, she basically waited for this man to get his shit together so they could be together. I especially love the part him of chasing her half way across the world because he finally decided she was "the one". When I first saw the last episode of the series I was like omg they finally got together, that was so romantic . Well five years later and a little wiser tot he dating game. That was some bullshit Carrie went through, nobody male or female should have to go through those types of antics or that much heartbreak. While the other party is figuring out if they want or can be with you. Carrie should've let her and Mr. Big die at the end of season two, if this was real life. I just don't describe to that notion that love has to be that gut-wrecnhing.

If we really examine their relationship, he was always playing her to left  and being mad disrespectful. But he did those things because she allowed him too. I mean she called him out a couple of times like when she broke up with him the first time, because he introduced her as his friend to his mom. She was in a one-sided relationship with Big and she got tired of it, after six years. But where she failed at was that  she keep letting his ass worm his way back into her life. Even when she had some solid situations going on, like with Aiden. I like Aiden because I felt like he truly loved Carrie and he really wanted to be with her. I just didn't get that same feeling with Big, I felt like Big wanted Carrie when it was convenient for him or when he felt threatened that other men was going steal her away. Men like that just shouldn't be allowed to date until they're at least 30. We all know a person like Carrie in a situation with a guy, that keeps her hanging on and they hang on because at the end of the day Big married Carrie. Yes, this is true they got married but look at all the10 years worth of bullshit she through to get to that point. So if you or anyone you know is going through this Big/Carrie mess, ask yourself or them  is it worth it? I think Kanye West said it best; "No one man should have all that power"!

No comments:

Post a Comment