Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What Does Oprah Owe Us?

As you know Oprah has her own network called "The Own Network", let's give this woman a hand clap for that. Now I'm not really a stan of Oprah, I don't religiously watch her show, nor do I read her magazines or am I apart of her book club. I have my issues with her. Like how she was all up in Chris Brown's grill after "the incident", y'all please can we let it go already and let this boy be great. I don't appreciate her love/hate relationship with hip hop, well let's  be honest she only really likes Jay-z. But despite all that, Oprah has done things that very few people have been able to do and achieved things many people couldn't even imagine doing. For those things I applaud her and I'm proud of her as a black woman. But many people don't really feel the same way about her. As I found out after the premier week of her network and heard some people bitching about the fact that there weren't enough black people on her network in front and behind the camera.

Black people we have to stop this nonsense, this woman doesn't owe anybody anything! One of the main people I heard grumblings from was Shelia Johnson (Bob Johnson's wife). Chile you got some nerve talking about Oprah doesn't have enough black representation her on network and you and your husband sold BET back into slavery. I swear if it wasn't for "The Game "that TV station would be dead to me. You my friend need to have a seat and a Coke and a smile. I personally don't care if Oprah doesn't have a single black person working for her, and you know why? Because she's BLACK!! She's the face of the company, she's on the cover of her magazine every month. She doesn't need another black person co-signing for her, I just don't understand to why she isn't enough? Why is that whenever a black person obtains a certain amount of success, other black people have to question their blackness?

Call me crazy but that's bs to me, as I've said before this whole line of thinking is why black people can't get ahead. This whole crabs in a barrel mentality has got to stop. Let this woman run her company as she sees fit. You know people are are going to talk about you regardless of what you try to do. Like when she opened up the school in South Africa, people were disgruntle then, talking about we have poor black children in America, why did she have to go all the way to Africa ? Well I will tell you why because she could! The real question here is what have you done to improve your community? I don't know all the dealings of Oprah's charity work or what causes she supports. What I do know is that when I cut on channel 2 at 4pm, the Oprah Winfrey show is on and she's a black woman doing things on her own terms. And just by doing that, she's inspiring people and that's enough for me. Stop saying she doesn't do enough for her "people" because she doesn't owe "people" or black people anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment