Friday, February 4, 2011

The Problem That is Ciara

Disclaimer: If you are a Ciara stan, you'll be offended

As you can tell from the title I don't particularly care for Ciara, I don't hate her she just makes me scratch my head in confusion a lot of the time. I do have some of her music on my ipod but would I pay my hard earned money in see her in concert, HELL NO! I believe that this girl's days as a recording artist are numbered, and I'll tell you why. After releasing her last two albums that barely went tin foil let alone platinum, her music career is sinking faster than the Titanic. I believe that the ship started to sink with the release of her 3rd cd Fantasy Ride, or as I like to call it "the MARTA train wreck." I don't think this cd made a blip on anybody's radar, hell I had to goggle to see what singles were released off it. The only one worth mentioning is that song with Young Jeezy and that was a hot a$$ mess.

So she goes back into studio with The Hambuglar  The-Dream (somebody tell this man to stop buying his clothes of the little boys section of H&M) to create her album Basic Instinct, that was suppose to put her back on the map as one of R&B's elite again. Well that didn't exactly go as planned, she literally fell off the map with this one. The first single Ride barely made it on the top 200 charts. Well that should've been a sign there, maybe she should stop making this valley girl/pop music and go back to basics: you know the princess of Crunk (even though Crunk is dead).  I understand that artist sometimes want to change the direction of their music, okay but when the direction goes all the way to the left from where you started, your original fans don't always follow this new direction and just lose interest. Ciara was trying to be Beyonce, Rhianna, and Lady Gaga all in one, and in my opinion she just lost her way. Although I didn't really like the song Ride, the dancing in video was hot!! So hot in fact that BET banned the video, really BET?? Of all the f*ckery on this station, this is what y'all chose to ban.

Well as some of you know this album went on to sell 35k its first week out, to say that this was a disappointment would be a gross understatement. Now I could give my own little theories as to why this happened, no promotion, weak material, blah blah. But what it boils down to is that her time in the sun is just over, people are just over her. How many times can recycle the same types of songs but just with a different beat? Girl how many times am I going have to see you do that damn matrix dance move in your videos? And the real underlined problem with her is that she can't sing worth a damn. I never looked at Ciara and thought 20 years from now Willow Smith or somebody is going to honoring this girl at the Soul Train awards. I just don't see that in her future.

But what really prompted me to write this post was Ciara (who will now be referred to as the little engine that could) was her response to her dismal record sales. This child said she wasn't worried about it (girl tell that tale to somebody who believes you) because she makes her money touring. Then she likened herself to Madonna by saying, Madonna current music doesn't really sale but she sells out arenas worldwide and that's how real artist make their money. They're so many blasphemy comments here, where do I begin. First of all little engine if nobody is buying your music, who in the hell is coming to your shows??? *crickets*.  Honestly, I don't even think at this point she could sell out a high school gym, let alone Madison Square Garden. What little engine fails to understand is that, people like Madonna and Janet Jackson can sell out arenas because they're legends. People go to see them for their whole body of work, not the new stuff. Little engine your body of work consist of goodies and promise, so please 1,2, step your a$$ to the closest exit because you're out of your hot damn mind to even compare yourself to Madonna (I love her).

So I've come up with a couple of things that little engine can do instead of music. 1) become the next boom cat/Laurie Ann Gibson. This girl can dance her a$$ off there's no denying that or just open a dance studio. 2) make a work-out dvd because I'll buy two copies of that, 3) open up a chain of beauty supply stores, or 4) maybe just be a model. Look I'm sure little engine is going to make more music because its probably always been her dream to be a singer, and I'm really not trying to be a dream-slayer here. All I'm saying she that the girl has other alternatives and she really might want to look into them. Especially since Beyonce is coming back this year to snatch wigs and cut throats, hell she gave everybody a year to get it together. Ummm good luck with your career girl.

2 comments:

  1. I honestly don't know who that artist is...I'm into weird indie music =p I saw you joined 20sb, so I thought I'd come say hi! Your blog is very cute!

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well she's a semi-successful artist, check her out if you want to, but thanks so much for checking out the blog : )

    ReplyDelete