Monday, April 9, 2012

Game Over


Where do I begin??? Well I guess from the beginning duh. The Game cues Common’s I use to love her. I was a huge fan of this show once upon a time; well really when it was on The CW. I’ve been watching this show since Girl Melanie and Derwin were introduced on Girlfriends as Joan’s cousin and her boyfriend. Since the pilot episode when they had the dark-skin Derwin( I think that guy is on one of those TNT shows I don’t watch ), I’m so glad they didn’t go with him. I think Pooch Hall makes a better Derwin Davis.  Anyway like I said I was a huge fan, I made my friends that didn’t watch the show watch, hell I even made my Mom watch and the only things she likes to watch on TV are the news and old episodes on Law and Order. But they loved the show and so did I.

Then The CW decided they were going try to become the sexy 2.0 version of Teen Nickelodeon or something and focus on programming more like Gossip Girls and 90210. They moved The Game to the grave yard shift of time slots, aka Friday night at 8 or 9. When nobody is at home watching TV, after that season the show cancelled. Everyone saw that coming and people still lost their damn minds (I’m included in this bunch) like LA riots were happening all over again. Petitions were signed to bring The Game, so after a two year break The Game comes back to television on BET and this where things take an ugly turn and the sugar most definitely turns into shit. Now before I go any further I would like to commend BET for bring the show that people loved and wanted to see back to TV, which was cancelled in my opinion because it was a black show on a white network and they wanted white shows on their network. Nothing more and nothing less.  So for attempting to do this BET gets a hand clap from me. Now onto the fuckery that has now because The Game on BET. Honestly the best analogy I can give about how this show has desegregated. Would be to say you’ve been listening to your music on the latest version of an ipod touch yesterday but today you’re downgraded to a Walkman. Or let’s say Beyonce was going to perform at your Birthday party but now you’re stuck with Keri Hilson. Like that’s how I feel about this show now, everything about it pisses be off and it pisses me off so much because I know the show was once an amazing show now its empty promises and boulevards of broken dreams .

So why this show is such slaughtered pig mess?  Well I think there are a number of factors and here they are.

1)      The writers: I’m assuming that during the two year hiatus, a lot if not all the writers found other work or just didn’t come back to the show when it started to air on BET. The writing on the show is just horrible, I tell you!!!! The jokes ARE NOT funny, like most of Lil’ Duval’s jokes on twitter aren’t funny. The plots are all over the place, the shit just isn’t cohesive. For example, Derwin gets mad at Melanie for having an abortion. Now the baby wasn’t his and they had broken up at the time she slept with Trey Wiggs and got pregnant. Melanie didn’t disclose this info to Derwin until after they got back together. As a matter of fact she never tells anyone, until they go to the doctor to try to figure why she’s having a hard time getting pregnant. Melanie then tells Derwin all about the abortion, he gets pissed. Somehow and someway they run into Trey Wiggs and invite him and his family to Derwin’s son b-day party. Notice I didn’t say their child’s party because welp Derwin got the girl he was dating when him and Melanie were broken up pregnant. So he has baby with another woman but is mad as hell at Melanie because she aborted another man’s baby. So mad in fact that when Trey Wiggs shows up at the party Derwin sucka punches him outside. We never hear about Trey Wiggs again.  Now what kind of shit is this???  So there’s no explanation as to why shit is happening it just happens. Did I say the jokes are funny because they really are not. I swear Lostmade more sense than this show and I still don’t know what the fuck happened on Lost.

2)      The Production: Man listen… sometimes when I watch the show it looks like someone took their iphone 4s and just started filming shit in their mama’s living room. Like for real???? This is how it goes down in 2012 on BET, shit old episodes of The Cobsy Show from the 80’s look better than this. Also I may just notice this because I’m from Atlanta and The Game is now filmed there but if they shoot one more damn scene at Atlantic Station I may just kick my TV. Like almost every scene that’s not in someone’s house is shot at Atlantic Station…. Listen there’s other places to shoot in the city. If you’re that pressed go ask Tyler Perry for some time on his lot.

3)      The extraness-  Yes, I know that isn’t a word but damnit it goes so appropriately to describe this show. Since the change every character on the show has become extra. Now these characters were already this way on the old network but they were just way more likable and more well-rounded. For example Tasha Mack on the show has always been hood, ghetto, urban, whatever the hell you want to call it. But now this bitch is about 2 steps away from being Sheneneh from Martin she’s damn near ratchet. Smacking her lips, smoking Black & Mild’s in public, eating Now n Laters and ranch sunflower seeds (and who the hell eats ranch sunflower see??? Show your face please). Ma’am…. What in the world?? They have just turned her into a real hoodrat, she was a little hood before but now she’s like on level 10. Melanie and Derwin Davis, they were a little daft and naïve before but now chile I can’t both of their asses. They’re both about as dumb as doorknobs now.  Melanie has turned into a super bougie bitch. Has she also been bougie? Yes, but now it’s to the power of 10 she’s definitely on her Marie Antoinette Let Them Eat Cake shit. Also this calling herself a doctor and she didn’t do her residency so she could cater to Derwin’s ass has got to stop. Either be a doctor or a Real Housewife of Atlanta, you can be both so pick one heffa.  They also turned somewhat funny Malik Wright into a druggie, egotistical manic, with a horrible ass Mohawk. First it’s not 2009 and the Mohawk has to go, Mr. T looking ass and him thinking he’s Peyton or Eli Manning has to stop too. Finally Jason Pitts the only person I like on the show, he’s still pretty much the same. He’s a little more of an asshole but I still like him the best, they should do more storylines with him and the show would be soooo much better. My only problem with him is that this season it’s revealed as to why he prefers to date white women. Because when he was growing up and would visit his cousins in the hood, the little black girls wouldn’t give him any play but the white girls would. I’m calling bullshit on this the time frame Jason is talking about is the late 80’s- early 90’s. Basically pre Denzel Washington and Wesley Snipes days. So you mean to tell me that in prime time Light-skin boy era, this high yellow boy couldn’t get no play ??? Yeah ok. Al B. Sure and El Debarge were running things, light skin boys were in style but he couldn’t get not play. Yeah fucking right. I still like Jason put that’s bullshit my friend.

4)   Kelly Pitts - I want Kelly Pitts back on the show but I want the old Kelly back not the one acting like Evelyn from Basketball wives. I want the Victoria’s Secret pink yoga pants, bedazzling hats for my husband’s team members, coupon cutting Kelly Pitts. That I cut my hair like Rhianna circa 2009, fighting like I’m on Love and Hip-hop, and dropping like its hot Kelly Pitts they can keep. Apparently on the show Kelly has gone to have her Eat. Pray. Love. moment.  So hopefully she can get her mind right and come back as the Kelly Pitts I use to love, if not like I said before keep it.

In summary this show has turned into a black horrible ass rendition of Dallas or something or better yet it’s like two steps above being those chitlin circuit plays that come BET on Sunday afternoons. They’re so terrible that you watch in the hopes that it gets better but it doesn’t, and when it goes off you say to yourself “why the hell did I just watch this for two hours”? Yeah that’s where The Gameis at now…. just fucking terrible. I really don’t see the show getting any better either. Why you might say? Because there’s no direct competition, that’s why? What other semi-success black shows are on TV? I dare you to say The House of Payne or some other Tyler Perry show. This ain’t the 90’s when shows like Martin, A Different World, Living Single, Moesha, and everything else in between are on air. There’s The Game and…… yeah I’m drawing a blank after that. So with no competitionThe Game continues to make this fuckery of a show and people watch must there’s no other alternative. This is a sad thing here, I tell you. I’m sure if this was 1995 and all those other black shows were on TV and The Game (the way it is now) was presented to network execs, that shit would’ve never seen the light of day. But because of the lack of diversity on TV these days any old bullshit will fly. Well damnit I’m sick of and I refuse to continue to support this show. It’s like having a boyfriend that use to take you to nice restaurants for date night, now that y’all are together for real now y’all are sitting on the couch eating spaghetti O’s out of the can and that’s date night now. I’m not about that life so just like I would do if I had a boyfriend that wasn’t treating me right, I would have to break up with him. That’s what I have to do with The Game…. We have to break up. So I guess its game over.
     

5 comments:

  1. I used to LOVE The Game! I had to give it up when I started working crazy shifts, so I haven't seen it since the decline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Joslin well you aren't missing much being that the show is pretty much trash now. Smh!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man... I blogged about the deterioration of The Game after viewing the first episode when it came to BET. I jumped ship QUICK FAST. It's a shame what they did to that show... oh, the memories of how good it used to be :/ Love your writing style by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ South Loop Social Light It's soo shameful that this show has turned into the day after Christmas trash. It's bad and at this point I don't know who's fault it is. I use to think it was BET's because well they always turn sugar into to shit, but I'm inclined to say its the creators/ producers of the show fault. They clearly give zero effs about the television program they are making and that's why I can't be bothered with this show anymore... It's just dreadful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How accurate is this post? Used to be so crazy about The Game too, once upon a time... gives me the Gags now!

    ReplyDelete