Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Questions Existing




If you don’t like your job, maybe you should quit stop being a bitch and love yourself. ~ Jaguar Wright

This song came on my iPod the other day, and it has been stuck in my head ever since. Like for real this is exactly how I’ve been feeling at work for the past month or so. I just want to quit and not leave on amicable terms either. Like I want to do this Dave Chappelle style, so why do I want to walk off my job giving everyone the finger? Well I’ll give you a few reasons.

1)      The pay- Let’s just say I’m able to pay my bills and that’s just about it. I did my taxes last month and actually saw the amount of money I made last year and all I could say was “Cole world” in my J.Cole voice. I’ve been working my ass off for pennies, hell fuck that for shillings and pence.

2)      My co-workers- Man listen at this point the sheer sound of one of my coworker’s voice in the morning just makes me want to slap her. I honestly can say that I absolutely and completely can stand half the people I work with. Like I know I go around with that I don’t give a fuck and don't say shit to me face (unless its work related). I definitely don’t look mean but I do look tried and unmoved by anything that’s going on at work. The other day one of the few people I like at work, made this comment to me. “This place is so boring and everyone is always trying to get into everyone’s business.” My reply “It’s boring because these people are boring and they have no real excitement in their lives outside of work.” Shawty that ain’t me; I’m not saying that my life is a P. Diddy Fourth of July party in the Hamptons but damn these folks act like they’re living the lives like the Golden Girls without all the fun shenanigans. I’m sorry but I don’t come to work to get my life, I come to work to get a check.  

3)      Overall lack of interest- When I started this job at this Fortune 500 Company, I was like yes I have arrived. I thought I would learn so much and that my talents would definitely be appreciated and my knowledge would expand vastly.Welp, like LeBron when he took his talents to South Beach I thought he was moving on up to the eastside. This shit ain’t what it appeared to be, like the Miami Heat this was/is a mind-fuck and on the brink of self-destruction. I mean have I learned some things? Yes, but the most important thing I may have learned is, maybe this isn't exact way I want my career path to go. Can I yes myself doing this for other 20-30? Absolutely FUCKING NOT!!!!

So my question is where do you go when you realize that you don’t like your job, hell you may not even like the career you’ve chosen for yourself. I mean we all have bills, mine are multiplying. So just quitting without another job or some other type of income would be just foolish. My body isn't stripper ready..... so that's out. So seriously what do you do? Jesus fix it.

8 comments:

  1. I sort of understand what you are feeling.

    I've been doing a B. of Social Work at University for 5 years, and i'm close to the end of it. I starting to think that, hey maybe social work isn't really for me... great i've just wasted 5 years of my life.. where do I go from here?

    My body isn't fire man stripper ready either :p
    plus I think my Fiance would liturally kill me if I picked up that job.

    I think sometimes we come to these points in our lives and we need motivation or inspiration to help us back on our feet, I know i certainly need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think that in a lot of cases when your job sucks you start to question if you picked the right career. Sometimes the career you've chosen is fine but your job not so much. But in these economic times nobody I'd trying to quit their job because you can't stand it there. In this job market finding a job even with 27 degrees from good schools is difficult. So do you stay or do you go?

      Delete
  2. Girl, I hear you! I think you've just described my office perfectly...we don't work together, right?? The job market is scary right now, I feel your pain. But, I think you're taking a step in the right direction-thinking seriously about your career and what you want or don't want it to be.

    The owner of my company (where I've worked for over 2 years) still calls me "Ashley". My name is not Ashley. My name doesn't even start with the letter A.

    As far as being "stripper ready" I think as long as you don't have a c-section scar, you have a leg up on a lot of pole dancers.
    Stay strong, keep fighting the good fight.
    Sincerely,
    -Not Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @gurlnxtdoor Like how does the owner not know your name after two years?? But yeah working at place where you dread going to everyday , really starts to take a toll on you. Like somedays I have to ask myself, girl are you pmsing or something. Unfortunately sometimes all you can do is put your head down and plough through it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why I love your blog? "shillings and pence" lol... hilarious. I have moments when I loathe my job, but I try to focus on whatever the bigger picture, or goal is that I'm working on. I would update your resume and put a plan together to live your best life now. At least find some entertaining coworkers with a few shenanigans to share on Monday morning lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @South Loop Social Light Thanks reading!! Honestly I think only my sister reads this blog.. so I'm always surprised when I get comments. I have updated my resume and started to look for another job. I really need to go get my masters its kinda needed in the field I've choosen. I think a big problem is that my job is in the suburbs and hence I moved to the suburbs to be closer to my job but I hate the fucking suburbs. So I'm looking to move to the city soon, this suburb live aint for me. I need noise, resturants, 2am drunk cab rides home. Not 2 am I might run into a deer on the street. So as Tamar Braxton would say I need to get my life, lol.

      Delete
  5. Yes! Once you're back in the city we should plan a shenanigan. Breathe some life back into your life force lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @South Loop Social Light Lol!!!! Yes shenanigans in the city sounds like exactly what in need in my life.

      Delete